Thursday, July 15, 2010

How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? by Jane Yolen

I can't seem to get away from the How Do Dinosaurs books by Jane Yolen and illustrated by Mark Teague...and I'm glad! Not only are they a favorite of my son's, (I can now actually recite How Do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight? without even opening the book!) but I am not ashamed to say that I absolutely love the series! In my opinion, they are right up there with Dr. Seuss as the best books ever!

As my little man seems to be fighting a stomach bug the last couple of days, it seemed only appropriate that I use this blog to talk about How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? 

I know from discussions I have had with other parents that I am not the only one who breaks into a cold sweat at the thought of taking my child to the doctor...especially if there are shots involved. In fact, I have gone with a friend to her daughter's appointment because she couldn't be in the room while they were giving her then 12 month old daughter her vaccinations.

I also know, from my own childhood, that even the sickest child can run and hide and kick up enough stir to have the entire office called in to aid when it is time to treat this illness or that illness. (I knew all the best hiding places in that office too!) 

If you have ever ended up wearing more medicine than you got in your child's tummy, or found yourself bribing a stubborn toddler to open their mouth so that a doctor or spouse could take their temperature, you will be able to relate to the poor parents of these sick "little" dinosaurs.

It laughable to see these big dinosaurs throwing tantrums over medication and going to visit the doctor. Children will see how silly it is for these big, fearsome dinosaurs to be scared of a doctor or medicine that is just going to help them get better...and it will help them see that if the big dinosaurs shouldn't be scared, they shouldn't be either. 


Just like the other How Do Dinosaur books do, How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon? shows both how dinosaurs shouldn't act, but then counters with how they should. Taking their medicine, resting in bed, and listing to what the doctor tells them all goes towards helping these sick dinos feel better, just like they will for your little dinosaur! 

I think any book that can teach good manners and behavior while showing children how absolutely absurd ban manners and behavior is deserves 5 stars! 10 even! Your children won't feel they are being preached at or scolded, but the message still comes across loud and clean. 

The creative rhyming story written by Jane Yolen is both enjoyable to listen too and fun to read! The beautiful, detailed illustrations by Mark Teague are so much fun to look at that you'll probably spend extra time with your child pointing out the various points of interest on each page, which includes the name of each dinosaur creatively added to each picture. (This is a big bonus for those parents with children who like to ask "What's that one called? What about that one?"...You might want to look up the pronunciations though.)

I highly suggest not only How Do Dinosaurs Get Well Soon?, but every single book in the How Do Dinosaurs series! You will not regret adding these books to your child's library!

If you are interested in learning more about Jane Yolen, her How Do Dinosaurs series, or any of the other over 300 books she has written, please check out her web page! If you would like to know more about author and illustrator, Mark Teague, you can look him up online for some great information!

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails