Thursday, March 11, 2010

Green Eggs and Ham by: Dr. Seuss

Since last week was Dr. Seuss' birthday, I thought it only appropriate to talk about a Dr. Seuss book this week. Green Eggs and Ham happens to be one of my favorites. 

Seuss books are amazing for children of all ages. The manner in which he writes, his rhymes, his silly words, and his funny illustrations catch the attention of even the youngest of babies. It is almost impossible not to get into a cheery rhythm while reading, and I have yet to meet an adult that doesn't get almost as much pleasure out of the books as a child does!

And they all have a message and moral, which I love in a book! Sometimes it's hidden and sometimes not, but books with a moral are high on my list of favorites!

Green Eggs and Ham isn't one of the more preachy moral messages that Dr. Seuss wrote about, but it is one that is important for young children to learn. (For adults to learn too for that matter.) Try New Things.

In Green Eggs our friend, Sam, is trying very hard to get his friend to try Green Eggs and Ham! Despite the fact that Friend of Sam has never tried Green Eggs and Ham, he stubbornly insists "I do not like green eggs and ham! I do not like them, Sam I Am!". Sam pleads with his friend to try them...in a house, with a mouse, in a box, with a fox...just to try them, for he might like them. Still, Friend of Sam insists that in no place and no way and with no one will he try them because "I do not like them, Sam I Am!"

How many times in a lifetime does a person, child and adult alike, decide that they won't like something or someone far before giving them a chance? We refuse to try food because of how it looks or smells, refuse to read a book because the cover looks silly, refuse to go to a new place because we have heard bad things...How many times in a lifetime do we miss out on something possibly wonderful without even giving it a chance? I certainly know that I have been guilty of this more than once, and more than once when I have finally been convinced to give it a try, I end up liking what I was 100% sure that I would not. I am sure that I am not the only one who has committed this folly, whether anyone else will admit it or not. Certainly Friend of Sam, stubbornly digging his heels in against trying the odd looking dish, might be missing out on something that is actually very yummy!

In my opinion, Green Eggs and Ham is one of Seuss' most enjoyable works. It is certainly one that I enjoy,  (My husband even read it to me on our Honeymoon...one of my favorite memories!) and I hope my son enjoys it as much as I do one day, along with all of Seuss' other works!

I highly, highly, highly recommend not only Green Eggs, but all of the works by Dr. Seuss! Every last one of them will be a wonderful addition to your child's library! 

If you are interested in learning more about the work of Dr. Seuss, please join his characters in the wonderful world of Seussville

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails